23 March 2016

First YA show (14-16 November 2014)

This week. Whew. Let me tell you. This week was fun.
Starting Tuesday, we had Young Ambassador rehearsals starting around 3 going until 10 pm. Every single day, up until our show on Friday.
After many long, grueling rehearsals, Friday finally came. We ate dinner at 4, did our last sound check at Orem High, and then we dressed, and waited for the show to start.
The showband opens the program with a piece that we had gotten 2 weeks prior. And to make things even better, they gave us new sheet music 3 hours before. Tensions were high, but we were all extremely exciting. As fun as it is performing for an empty auditorium, a full one is much better.
Despite many mic packs falling off performers, and having our only Alto Sax break, the show went extremely well.
How did we know this, despite our biased opinions, and our parents many compliments (which they are obligated to give)?
Saturday morning, we all got on the bus to head to Wyoming for our next show that night, and our directors did not give us any notes. We didn't go over any music. They just let us sleep, eat, and enjoy the ride and each other's company.
That is unheard of. We have members that have been in the group for years, and most of the bus rides are full of even more rehearsing.
As we pulled into Jackson Hole, Wyoming, our wonderful directors told us how well we did, and that don't remember a show going so well on opening night, and they thankfully reminded us not to get cocky.
One of the vice presidents of YA's said "We perform to bless. Not to impress". Which is true.
Thankfully, a lot of my parts are not too difficult, which gives me the opportunity to watch the audience as I play. I will honestly tell you that I teared up at least 3 times, watching little girls faces as they watch the show. They were all smiles, a few were dancing in empty spaces, and one little girl even tried to climb up on stage (her sister caught her just in time, but, I'm sure she would have been welcomed).
I personally know that I am not doing much, I mostly play the tambourine or the bongos. But I am very grateful that I get to be even a small part in bringing happiness to just a few people.

After we meet the audience and clean up, we go to our assigned Host family. I was with 3 other wonderful girls, and we stayed with the most welcoming, beautiful lady and her dog.
She knew we must've been starving and had made us a delicious homemade chicken soup. With ice cream and berries for dessert. I don't think we could have been treated better. We stayed up far too late getting to know each other, and before we knew it, it was way past bedtime.


We got to the church at 8:45 to get ready for our Devotional. And that practice definitely could have gone better. We were stumbling over notes and words. I was quite nervous. Some other girls and I were frantically reading over the songs when another girl told us that what we didn't need to do that. Because we needed to be there, and we would receive the help that we needed.
And we did. I do not think that there were only 31 people singing up there. I was still stumbling over words, but it didn't matter, because the room was filled with the Spirit and music.
Four wonderful talks were given. And one in particular stood out to me. I cannot phrase it as well as he did, but I can attempt. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever should believe on Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." How many times do we hear that? A lot. How big of an impact does it make?
Switch out 'the world' for your name. "For my Heavenly Father loved me, Josie, so much that He sent his only Begotten Son, that if I should believe on Him (I) should not perish, but have everlasting life."
Our Father and our Savior would have made the same sacrifice even if only 100 people came to earth.  Even if ten did. Even if just you did. For you, They would do anything to make it possible for you to come back into the loving arms of your Heavenly Father. You are so loved. Don't forget it.
Welll.... That was not close to what was spoken. But I guess that's okay.
I am so grateful to be a part of this experience as tiring as it is. I have learned so much about myself and our Saviour.
I am grateful for his love for us. John 14: 27  Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

2 comments:

  1. I like that. Sometimes we forget to liken the scriptures unto ourselves, but they're much more impactful when we do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, Josie. You ought to record the talks you have given. You did a great job, the one that I heard.

    ReplyDelete